This Website / Blog belongs to Dora M. Dominguez-Carey 2005: Background Template by Dora D. Carey 2014: Dominguez Generations, Inc. 2005;
Online Media Contributor: theEXaminer 2007; Online Media Contributor: SB Nation 2007
WELCOME to MY SPORT'S BLOG! WHERE I WILL RANT and RAVE ABOUT ANYTHING SPORTS-RELATED!
I HOPE YOU ENJOY MY POSTS and that YOU SHARE the SAME AFFINITY for the "WIDE WORLD of SPORTS" LIKE ME!

Monday, August 29, 2011

Welcome back football: It is about time.

I know, I know, the NFL has returned and the games have been back on the networks for two weeks now. Trust me I know as I have been glued to the set every chance I get to watch a game and watching highlight reels on various sport's channels. I even renegotiated the contract with our cable provider for a sports package that consists of way too many sports channels. I have even resorted to watching football games from years past. I cannot get enough of it. The reason I refer to the return of football as I did in the title of this post is because college football is the actual sport that this fanatic has been awaiting since the BCS Championship game took place this past January (2011). A game that included a nice turn of events as Auburn and Oregon took the limelight; two smaller, lesser known schools finally overshadowed the usual big schools that too often are the ones vying for the championship. Who can forget that game as the Tigers edged out the Ducks 22-19.
I am so excited as we near opening day ( 09-03-11), per se; the first day when most college football games make their way back to our teles. Once again the journey begins within the BCS-eligible teams for a shot at the National Championship. Though I am not thoroughly impressed with the current AP poll which plays hosts to many of the usual contenders and pretenders, I am just glad that my team, my college, my alma mater (Texas Tech) is not yet a part of it so that it may remain under the radar and perhaps play spoiler later as the season progresses.
The Texas Tech (Sept. 3rd) tickets we purchased online have arrived today via Fed Ex and I am taken over with anticipation for the day to arrive. I do not even care that Tech is playing host to the smaller Texas State U (San Marcos). For obvious BCS-related reasons in years past it would have bothered me to no avail for Tech to play such a small school but since our Red Raiders seem to remain stuck in a transition since the unnecessary firing of "our Captain" coach Mike Leach, and the nemesis head coach known as Tommy "Tele-Tubby" Tuberville remains to lack the excitement to lead them to a Big XII conference title, I will take whatever game we can attend in person with great vigor. Thankful for the great deal on the tix we bought because last year the opportunity never came about for us to do so. I will remain steadfast as a fan and be satisfied just to be there (Jones Stadium) in person but with high hopes and slight demands that Tech come out victorious, of course.
However this I continue to promise myself as I remain a proud member of "Team Leach", I will not give Tuberville a break this season like I did not do so last year: his 'inaugural year'. Because despite his having taken over our awesome football program and all, Tuberville let down the team, the school and its respective fans and alumni because of his stubborn, ignorant will to not allow the Red Raider ("air raid") program to play the kind of football Tech is accustomed to playing and the season was not as successful as it should have been; last season was instead a slow train wreck ready to take place. Tuberville inherited a solid team and should have had more victories. This year the bar has been raised and I expect our Red Raiders to be better than last year in all aspects, similar or better than under the Leach years, and for them to wreak havoc within the Big XII and all of their non-conference games. To once again awaken the likes of the 'Horns, the Sooners, the Aggies and to serve as a reminder that Tech has not gone anywhere; the Red Raiders are still around and even though some schools still refuse to consider Texas Tech as their rivals, Tech still scares the heck out of them (both team and fans) and makes them nervous each time our teams meet on the green turf for 60 minutes of pure rough and tough college ball. Blood in and blood out...
Wreck 'EM!!!

No comments: